People, and domestic dogs and cats are suffering from ever increasing rates of chronic disease and ill-health: obesity, diabetes, dental disease, auto-immune conditions, cancer, heart disease - these are all very common presentations in both the doctor's surgery and the veterinary clinic.
People and their pets are exposed to similar risk factors:
- They eat highly processed diets laden with additives and inappropriate ingredients.
- They are prescribed medications for conditions that can often be managed with lifestyle interventions.
- They are exposed to high levels of poorly regulated industrial chemicals.
At our sister-business, Raw Essentials (species-appropriate real food for cats and dogs), we have always focused on dysbiosis and leaky gut (intestinal permeability) as an underlying factor in disease and ill health. There is a large amount of scientific literature on this topic in human medicine, and we are pleased to see this hugely important topic finally begin to get some airtime in the Veterinary journals.
There is still so much research to be done in this area, but based on what we already know, the best approach for the majority of pets and people to improve their health is to keep things simple...
- Remove inappropriate and inflammatory foods.
- Replace them with species-appropriate real foods that provide beneficial microbes, reduce inflammation, and nourish the gut.
It is important to bear in mind that people are omnivores, and dogs and cats are carnivores - so their species-appropriate diets will not be the same - although there is an exception: the lovely nourishing, healing properties of bone broths work well for people, cats and dogs!